Thursday, March 21, 2013

Intentions

Pottery Project Intentions

For this pottery project, I want to make a basic conga style drum.  I like how smooth and polished the drums appear when they are made out of wood, so I want to make sure my clay drum has the same smooth qualities.  However, I also want to play around with the form of the drum.  I still want it to be tall and narrow, but I also want to play around with the shape, such as slightly denting in the sides to give it a more complex figure.  My inspiration for this drum comes from both historic African style drums (left) as well as modern conga drums (right).


I also want to successfully spin a ceramic bowl or cup on the pottery wheel.  For this, I don't have any specific intentions on what I want to make yet, but I would like it to have some sort of everyday purpose which I could use, such as a cereal bowl or a drinking cup.  

Finally, I would like to make one or two maracas out of clay.  I was inspired to do this after seeing some maracas in a music video.  I like the unique sound they make based on the shape and size of the material inside of the chamber.  After doing some research, I found that I want to make them with a smooth transition between the handle and body of the instrument (see picture below).  It would also be interesting to adjust the form of the instrument in a similar way that I would for the drum.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment